Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Adventures In Poultry!

So - on top of wedding planning and working on a foreclosure we are now raising 22 pheasants!!!  They arrived last Thursday at only a day old!!   Here they are!!!

I have one story to share so far, otherwise it has been going fairly well - I give them feed in the morning & change their water at night and then will change their bedding every few days.

However, on Monday I was standing in the middle of this pen - and if you don't know it - these little guys can run SUPER fast so you have to be very careful where you stand.  So here I am in the middle of the pen with D changing the oil on my car while my dog Zoey watches very intently. 

I don't see any reason for her to be near the pheasants as I was afraid she was going to knock over this cardboard pen with one pounce and the poor little guys would be loose in the garage!!!  However, D tries to be SO nice to Zoey (who by the way is a Papillion/Shitzu and weighs around 20 Lbs) thinks she'll learn to behave around them.

So here I am in the middle of the pen when Zoey starts pawing at the cardboard and both D & myself are hollering at her to get away when all of a sudden she gets one out from underneath the cardboard & gets it in her mouth!!  I am yelling for D to come help me so I don't kill the rest of them and finally get over to Zoey where I grab her by the collar lift her up while the poor little guy falls out back into the pen.  He has been killed by the dog! 

So we are now down to 21!

B.T.W - I have no idea if these are male or female so I am just guessing at this point!

Wish me luck!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment